Sunday, June 24, 2018

Favorite tools that hang around me --
(My tool belt)

My tool belt attracts some attention and amusement. I cannot stealth about noiselessly, and the nervous stranger regards my appearance with suspicion. But my well-stocked belt allows me to work more effectively, and it helps me keep track of the tools I need -- and that I spent good money for. Every gardener has favorite tools -- tools that one has to have in order to tackle whatever garden task awaits. I of course am no exception. Over the years I have accrued, and misplaced, and broken, a multitude of useful tools. My list has changed some with the passing of time, although certain tools have been on the must-have list for decades.
Toolbelt, weeding version

To hold my tools my belt has, typically:
• Two plier holders
• Three hammer loops
• Two long narrow pouches
• A phone pouch.
What I holster varies depending upon my needs -- weeding or pruning. It is rare for me to actually carry pliers or hammers.

During fruit tree season (winter) I often carry two pairs of hand pruners, because when up a ladder or in a tree, inevitably I drop a pair of pruners and this way I don't have to climb down after the dropped pair. I use one less hammer loop, and use them for loppers -- long dangly heavy, but it frees up my hands when I move about.

When I'm more ground-bound,:
•  One plier holder has hand pruners.
•  The other holder has a stout knife for weeding.
•  One hammer loop has a hand claw, great for weeding.
•  From the second loop dangles a hand sickle, with a bright green tennis ball jammed onto the butt end so that it will stay in the hammer hook, and also so that it does not (as readily) disappear in the vegetation.
•  The third loop varies -- I can opt for a serious hand hoe or a pair of stubby loppers, depending on circumstances.
•  One narrow pouch holds a folding "super sharp" saw.
•  The second long pouch holds reading glasses / magnifiers.
•  The phone pouch holds my cell phone, which includes calendar, clock, and noisemaker for entertainment.   These days I listen to recorded books, and soon may write a whole blog on books I have listened to.  But today's blog is devoted to tools, not distractions.

I am looking at belt upgrade -- suspenders on my belt.  When my belt tries to push my pants down, well, that isn't helpful.  While the thought of suspenders on a belt makes me smile, truth is that as an addition, they are fairly easy to find.

So there you have it -- the work belt of my joy and other's ridicule and fear (and maybe appreciation).

Glen

1 comment:

  1. Every gardener has favorite tools Rajshahi best it that one has to have in order to tackle whatever garden task awaits. I of course am no exception.

    ReplyDelete